CB-950 Data Buoy Overview
The CB-950 data buoy offers sufficient power and sensor payload for demanding instruments including video cameras, ADCPs and more. It is designed for deployment in lakes, rivers, coastal waters, harbors, estuaries and other freshwater or marine environments. Like all solar-powered NexSens CB-Series data buoys, it is a highly customizable platform that may be configured with NexSens or user-supplied electronics. It supports a wide variety of topside and subsurface sensors and measurement instruments.
Key Components and Definitions
Buoy Hull – Constructed of cross-linked polyethylene foam with a durable polymer outer layer and rugged stainless steel frame providing a net buoyancy of 950 lb (431 kg). Three 6” passthrough holes with female NPT bottom threads allow for quick connection of instrument deployment pipes and custom sensor mounts.
Data Well – The waterproof compartment located in the center of the buoy hull for placement of system electronics such as batteries and data loggers. On the CB-950 model, the data well has a 10.3” (26.2 cm) diameter and 25.5″ (64.8 cm) height.
For complete NexSens systems, the data well is fitted with CB-A05 battery harnesses and an X2-CB or X2-CBMC data logger. The X2-CB has five UW sensor ports, and waterproof sensor connection is achieved by factory installation of fully-sealed UW connectors onto sensor cables. The X2-CBMC has five sensor ports with wet-mate marine connectors for enhanced performance in extreme conditions. Both loggers support the common standards such as SDI-12, RS-232 and RS-485 with the internal X2 electronics.
For users supplying their own electronics, the CB-950 is delivered as an open platform with empty data well or with battery only. A data well top plate can be supplied in one of three ways:
- A standard CB-PTL Pass Through Lid for passing of instrument cables through gland fittings
- A CB-PTL lid with UW8-BULK sensor bulkhead cable assemblies (alternative version with marine wet-mate connectors available)
- A blank lid with only UW6-BULK power cable assembly and vent that users may drill their own holes and install connectors into
Solar Tower – Three 46W solar panels on the solar tower capture sunlight from any direction and charge batteries located inside the data well. The tower also supports the mounting of an M650 solar marine light for nighttime visibility. Aside from regular cleaning to ensure solar panels are unobstructed from receiving maximum sunlight, there is little to no maintenance required. However, solar assemblies may be function tested if any performance issue is suspected by placing in the sun and measuring output on the UW-6 (6-pin) port plug.
Buoy Frame – The skeleton of the buoy is comprised of 316 stainless steel with topside lifting eyes and subsurface mooring eyes for single and multi-point moorings. The frame supports attachment of an instrument cage for secure connection of subsurface sensors and additional ballast weight for stability.
The key specifications of the CB-950 buoy are given below:
- Hull Outer Diameter: 42.0” (106.7cm)
- Hull Height: 26.0” (66.0cm)
- Data Well Inner Diameter: 10.3” (26.2cm)
- Data Well Height: 25.5″ (64.8cm)
- Pass-Through Hole Diameter: 6.0″ (15.2cm)
- Tower Height: 41.0” (104.1cm)
- Solar Panels: 3x 46-watts
- Weight: 285 lb (129kg)
- Net Buoyancy: 950 lb (431kg)
- Hull Material: Cross-linked polyethylene foam with polyurea coating & stainless steel deck
- Hardware Material: 316 stainless steel
- Mooring Attachments: 3x 3/4” eye nuts