Setup Iridium (SBD) Data Account
All iridium-enabled X2 data loggers must have an active SBD (short-burst) data account in order to send sensor data to WQData LIVE. While NexSens Technology can configure and manage Iridium data service plans, users may prefer to set up their own data services.
Determine System Data Usage Requirements
The amount of satellite data an X2 logger requires is determined by the following variables:
- The # unique sensors connected to the data logger
- The # sensor parameters that are enabled for transmission to WQData LIVE
- The logging interval of the connected sensors
Data usage estimates can be acquired by contacting NexSens Technology and supplying the information above, or by entering this information into this Excel speadsheet.
Select Iridium Service Provider
Iridium maintains a list of verified data service sellers on their company website.
- Navigate to the service provider lookup utility here:
- Select the desired provider from the list.
- Note that every provider will have different SBD plan capacities and pricing.
- It is advisable to check with multiple companies to find the most competitively priced options for the required data amount.
Request SBD Plan Activation
Once the provider has been chosen, reach out to them and supply the following information:
- Request the setup of a new SBD account
- Provide the Iridium modem IMEI number
- NexSens can supply this once the X2 system has been built up
- Provide the anticipated monthy data usage estimate for plan selection
- Provide an email account that will be used to recieve the data messages from the system.
- It is highly recommended a new, dedicated email account be reserved for this.
- A standard Gmail account will suffice.
- Having the data sent to a second mailbox address is recommended.
- If asked, the following features are not required for the account
- Ring Alerts
- Geo Data Flag
- MO Ack Flag
Iridium Setup on WQData Live
- On the top right of your WQData Live project page, travel to the Admin | Settings tab.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced Device Remote Configuration.
- From the drop-down menu, select the site containing the iridium data logger and click on the logger.
- Enter key ‘nexsens’ to access the Advanced Device Remote Configuration settings.
- Scroll down to Transmission Settings and choose Iridium Satellite from the drop-down menu under New Value.
- Enter the following settings into the available fields:
- Modem IMEI
- Email Server: imap.gmail.com (Insert this server name if using Gmail; however, any host domain will work.)
- IMAP Port: 993 (Usually 143, or 993 when using SSL)
- Pull down and select ‘Yes’ and input the email address and password for the Custom Transmit Email, along with the email address for the Custom Command Email.
- Custom Transmit Email
- Receives the emails sent from the logger to WQData LIVE.
- Custom Command Email
- Sends queue commands from WQData LIVE to the logger.
- Custom Transmit Email
- Select ‘Yes’ for Use SSL for IMAP
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the configuration menu.
Important: The number of transmitted parameters, sensor logging intervals, and the system transmission intervals all affect satellite data usage and telemetry costs. Ensure that the configured iridium data plan can support the desired system settings. Follow the link below to
- Choosing Which Parameters Are Transmitted (X2 Only)
- Changing Sensor Logging Intervals
- Changing Data Logger Transmission Interval