Running a Sensor Re-Detection
After running a sensor auto-detection during initial setup, WQData LIVE receives and parses the specific XML data format that outlines the logger’s sensor configuration (i.e., sensor id, parameter ids, parameter units, etc.). Once the sensor configuration is received, it is saved on the backend of WQData LIVE and used to parse data for future transmissions from the logger.
When running a sensor re-detection to add or remove sensors/parameters, the XML data format of the sensor configuration changes, and WQData LIVE must be updated. If the new format is not saved via a WQData setup or sync settings command, data transmissions will be rejected as WQData LIVE cannot correctly parse the data. Additionally, the data logger relies on the latest timestamp from WQData LIVE to push up any backlogged data. Thus, the same parsing issues may arise if old data remains (gathered using the old sensor configuration) on the logger after running a new sensor detection.
NexSens recommends running sensor re-detections while directly communicating with the data logger using the NexSens CONNECT software. CONNECT provides the ability to erase the log data and sensor programming, enable the proper scripts, run the sensor detection, and push the new configuration immediately to WQData LIVE. CONNECT will display the final sensor configuration that the user should confirm before transmitting the new sensor configuration.
- Ensure to consider the following for the sensors in the new detection:
- All sensors are set up properly for communication with the data logger following their X-Series integration guide.
- Only one RS-232 sensor is connected to a single port.
- All SDI-12 and RS-485 sensors have unique addresses.
- 12VDC power is available during the detection process.
- Connect the sensors to the data logger.
- If possible, connect the sensors used in the previous detection to the same port.
- Download and open the CONNECT software. Establish a direct connection to the data logger using a UW6-USB-485P communication cable.
- For buoy models, the internal battery will be used for power.
- For pole-mount models, a DC adapter must be connected to the UW6-USB-485P cable.
- For SDL models, (16) D-Cell batteries should be installed to provide adequate power.
- Enable or create the proper sensor scripts for the connected sensors. NexSens only recommends enabling the necessary scripts for the connected sensors.
- Erase the log data.
- Erase the sensor programming.
- Reset the logger.
- The data logger will begin the automatic sensor detection process since it does not currently have a sensor configuration.
Confirming the New Sensor Configuration
Depending on the number of scripts enabled, the sensor detection duration can be 2 to 15 minutes. The user must periodically check the sensor configuration in the CONNECT software to ensure the detection process is successful. Always gather a few sensor readings to confirm accuracy before moving further.
- Read Sensor Configuration.
- If the new sensor configuration is incorrect, double-check the steps above.
Updating the Sensor Configuration on WQData LIVE
After a successful re-detection, the new sensor configuration must be sent to WQData LIVE. Depending on the extent of the changes, the user may need to contact a support specialist at NexSens Technology to re-create the device on the web.
- NexSens Technical Support Line: (+1) 937-426-2703
Re-creating the device will make the original device obsolete on the web. All historical data, however, will still be available with the obsolete device. The new sensor configuration, and all subsequent data transmissions, will be uploaded to a separate location within the users’ project/site. A new location is necessary to avoid overwriting the original device configuration, which may cause incorrect sensor/parameter labeling and create parsing issues on the web. A NexSens support specialist will walk you through this process, rename the old device, and ensure the new device is reading correctly.
If the user only adds sensors/parameters, these will be added to the end of the configuration, and the user can update without a NexSens support specialist. In that instance, the user should do the following:
- Reconnect the antenna to the data logger.
- Send the Setup WQData LIVE command.
- Confirm the new sensor configuration has been updated on the web and accurate readings are transmitted.