The maintenance switch is a feature in iChart software that can be used for external control of an iSIC data logger. Once the feature has been enabled and a channel has been set, a simple switch controls if the iSIC logs data or not.
1. Open iChart without a current project.
2. From the menu bar select Advanced | iSIC | iSIC.
3. Select the correct PC COM port, Connection and iSIC Address. Press Connect and then switch to the Logging tab.
4. Check the box labeled “Maintenance Switch”. From the drop down menu select the line to use for the maintenance switch, DIO0 or DIO1. Click Apply and then click Close.
5. Wire a cable to the appropriate DIO line and corresponding GND on the Digital strip inside the iSIC enclosure.
6. Exit the cable through a gland fitting, making sure to leave some slack inside the enclosure. Tighten the fitting so the cable is not free to move, and then give it an additional ¼ turn. Connect the free end of the cable to the 5V switch. When the switch is open, the iSIC will log data. When the switch is closed, the iSIC will not log data.