Set Continuous SDI-12 Mode on Vaisala WXT53x Weather Station
*For connection with iSIC data loggers
The only manual configuration that needs to be made to the WXT53x stations is the enabling of Continuous SDI-12. These WXT 530-series stations (as of mid-2019) have an issue with their Native (default) SDI-12 mode. During precipitation events, they can fail to wake up from sleep mode and are unresponsive until power is cycled.
Set Continous SDI-12 Mode
- Connect the iSIC data logger to the PC containing the iChart software either directly (recommended), or over other working telemetry options (e.g. cellular, radio, etc.) on the iSIC data logger.
- Ensure the Vaisala weather station is connected and adequate power is applied to the data logger.
- Click Advanced | iSIC | iSIC. The iSIC Setup window should appear.
- Enter the correct connection type and iSIC or SDL address. If connecting directly to the iChart PC, make sure the correct COM Port is selected.
- Click Connect.
- Select the General tab to allow the iSIC’s configuration to be read.
- Select the SDI-12 tab.
- To find the sensor’s SDI-12 address and confirm sensor communication, type this command:
- A result in this format should appear:
- Note: “a” is used as an example address above. Record the sensor’s actual address. It will be used in sending other commands.
- Ensure that you are communicating with the correct sensor by inputting the identification command:
- A result should appear in this format:
“allccccccccmmmmmmvvvxxx . . . xxx <CR><LF>”
- Note: “a” is used as an example address above. “ll” is the SDI-12 version number indicating SDI-12 version compatibility. “cccccccc” is an 8 character vendor identification. “mmmmmm” is the sensor model number. “vvv” is the sensor version. “xxx…xxx” is an optional field, up to 13 characters” used for a serial number.
- Verify Communication Settings with the aXU! command
- [M]= COM protocol, S is Native SDI-12 and R is Continuous SDI-12
- Set Continuous SDI-12 Mode with the aXU,M=R! command
- Verify the change by sending the aXU! command
- The Vaisala WXT53x weather station should now be set for Continuous SDI-12 mode.