Each X2-CB/X2-CBMC ships with a bag of desiccant inside the logger enclosure. This desiccant bag should be replaced whenever:
- The X2-CB/CBMC enclosure is opened.
- The Internal Humidity diagnostic parameter reads 50% or greater.
Any appropriately sized silica gel desiccant pack (the included pack is 6″x 1.5″ for reference), or the NeSens A71 desiccant kit can be used for replacement.
Desiccant Replacement Process
- Disconnect the 6-pin solar panel or UW-6 USB cable from the X2-CB SOLAR/COM port to remove power from the data logger.
- Remove the buoy solar tower to gain access to the data well [CB-150/250/450 buoys only].
- Remove the (6) bolts with lock washers securing the solar tower using a 9/16″ socket wrench.
- Remove the (8) bolts with lock washers from the X2-CB using a 9/16″ socket wrench, loosening them in a cross pattern.
- Pick up the plate to reveal the 6-pin plug connecting the battery harness in the data well to the bottom cable of the X2 logger. Disconnect and protect the connectors with cap covers or tape.
- Remove the screws holding the X2 enclosure to the metal plate using a Phillips head screwdriver.
- Lift up on the enclosure base to separate it from the logger plate.
- Remove the spent bag of desiccant and place a fresh bag in its place.
- Carefully set the enclosure base back on to the logger plate, aligning the threaded inserts of the plate with the screw holes in the base.
- Ensure the large exterior O-ring is secure in the grooves of the base and is making proper contact with the bottom of the logger plate.
- Verify that when closed the power cable feeding up through the enclsoure base lies flat and is not pinched when closed.
- Thread the screws on to the housing about halfway, before tightening them in a cross pattern with a Phillips screwdriver.
- Set the re-assembled X2-CB back on top of the data well, placing desiccant in the well first.
- It is recommended at this time, particularly if the X2 has reported high moisture readings, to replace the bag of desiccant inside the data well also.
- Make sure the primary O-ring is clear of debris and centered in the groove.
- Reconnect the 6-pin plug on the bottom cable of the X2 logger to the battery harness cable in the datawell.
- Align the plate and re-install the (8) bolts with lock washers, tightening them in a cross-pattern using a 9/16″ socket wrench.