Proteus Multi-Parameter Water Quality Sensors
The Proteus is a multi-parameter sensor platform designed to complete accurate and reliable measurements of BOD, COD, TOC and Coliforms (total, E. coli or fecal) in temporary and permanent applications.
- Built-in wiper cleans optical sensors prior to each measurement
- Optional internal battery pack for standalone deployments
- SDI-12 and RS-485 Modbus output for integration with data loggers & PLC's
The Proteus is a unique, scientifically-proven multi-parameter probe platform that uses both fluorescence and patented algorithms to monitor biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), chemical oxygen demand (COD), total organic carbon (TOC), dissolved organic carbon (DOC) and total coliforms, fecal coliforms and E. coli coliforms in real-time. The instrument is designed for use in drinking water, wastewater, industrial, process, recreational swimming areas, aquaculture and food & beverage applications:
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD): BOD is a measure of the amount of oxygen that is used by bacteria and other microorganisms during the aerobic decomposition of organic matter.
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD): COD is a measure of the amount of oxygen that is required to dissolve both organic and inorganic matter with the water.
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC): TOC is a measure of the total amount of carbon present in organic compounds in a water source.
- Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC): A subset of TOC, dissolved organic carbon is the fraction of TOC which can pass through a 0.22 - 0.7µm pore size filter.
- Total Coliforms, Fecal Coliforms and E. coli Coliforms: Coliforms are rod-shaped, gram negative bacteria. Total coliforms (TC) include all coliform bacteria that are present within the water source.
Proteus can be fitted with up to 12 different sensors to output over 30 parameters on a single instrument. Sensor options include temperature, conductivity, pH, ORP, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, CDOM, tryptophan, chlorophyll, blue-green algae, depth, and more. A central wiper on the turbidity sensor cleans the optical sensors prior to each measurement, reducing the maintenance requirements when continuously deployed. The probe can also be outfitted with a cabled Bluetooth battery pack for spot sampling with any Android/iOS device.
Included with the purchase is the Proteus base unit with temperature sensor, calibration cup, sensor guard, serial communication cable, serial to USB adapter, digital manual and Proteus Software Manager. Both SDI-12 and RS-485 Modbus RTU are standard outputs for interfacing with environmental data loggers and PLC's. Pair the multi-parameter probe with the NexSens X-Series data loggers and CB-Series buoys for cloud-based data in remote locations via WQData Data LIVE and cellular or satellite telemetry.