Each WQSensor ships assembled, tested, and calibrated to factory specifications. To get started, insert the WQSensors software CD included with the sensor into a computer and follow the wizard to download and install the software. Note that the WQSensors software is compatible with Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.
Preparing for Measurements
- WQ-ORP sensors are shipped with the ORP bulb kept moist. Prior to using a WQ-ORP sensor for the first time, follow these three steps to condition the electrode:
- Remove the electrode from the protective storage container. Rinse the electrode tip with distilled or deionized water. (Note: Keep the protective cap or boot for use later during storage).
- Shake the electrode down (like a thermometer) to eliminate any air bubbles inside the electrode.
- Place the electrode tip in a beaker containing 4.0 pH buffer or 4.0 M KCl. Soak for 20 minutes.
- After conditioning the electrode for 20 minutes, rinse the electrode with distilled or deionized water. The electrode is now ready for calibration and to measure ORP.
Note: When handling ORP electrodes, rinse the electrodes with distilled water before and after measuring a sample. Blot the end of the electrode with a lint-free cloth to remove excess water. Never wipe the electrode to remove excess water. Wiping can create static charges that interfere with correct measurements.